Unit 1Theorizing Sex/Gender in a post-Gender World
[Week 1-2: Jan 14,16, 21, 23]
1. Course overview. Introductions. [Jan 14]
2. Browse National Geographic's Special Issue: Gender Revolution (January 2017). Come to class ready to share your thoughts. [Jan 16]
3. Browse your copy of The Women's Atlas. Find a phenomenon that catches your fancy, grabs your curiosity, piques your interest. Post a picture of the page to the class discussion board (5 pts). [Jan 21]
4. Read "Sex or Gender? Bodies in World Politics and Why Gender Matters," by Laura J. Shepherd, in Gender Matters in Global Politics [text to purchase].[Jan 23]
Unit 2 Measuring Difference [Week 3: January 28, 30]
1. Global Gender Gap Report 2020, Preface, Key Findings, Appendices A and B.
Unit 3 Gender in International Relations Theory [Week 3: February 4, 6]
Tuesday - Nat Geo - Masculinity story; Zalewski "Making Feminist Sense..." in GMGP.
Thursday - Understanding the Global Empowerment Index, World Economic Forum, Global Gap Report, 2020; Shepherd, "Bodies in IR" in GMGP.
Unit 4Gender Roles in Cultural Systems, National Identity [Week 4]
Tuesday - Rationalist Feminism; Standpoint theory; Post-structuralist feminism (GMGP pp.18-20); GR stuff in class.
Thursday - Gender, Nationalism, Culture; Chpt 24 "Religion" by Katherine E. Brown and Chpt 26 "Nationalism" by Dibyesh Anand in GMGP .
Week 5 [February 11,13]
Tuesday - pulling things together for MT
Thursday - MT 1
Unit 5 Gender and Political Economy, Migration [Week 7-8]
1. Questions to Guide Your Reading: How active are women in the formal and informal economy in your country; in the world? What roles are women playing in the global economy? What notions of masculinity and femininity are embedded in the world economy? What is an EPZ? How are they structured by gender? What cultural myths AND economic development strategies are shaping the roles of women from your country in the global economy today?
What external and internal factors shape women’s participation in the paid or formal economy in your country? What is the gender division of labor? What is occupational segregation and why does it exist? Why do women tend to work fewer hours (for pay) than men? What sectors of the economy do they tend to work in? What is the gender pay gap in your country? How rich or poor are women in your country?
2. Women’s Work
Unit 7 Gender and Tech, Social Media, Transnationalism [Week 12]
Unit 8 Projects and Presentations [Week 13-15]
Final Exam: Wednesday, May 6, 3:30-5:30